Moving the family to Jonesboro, GA? If yes, that’s a great choice. Jonesboro is a small, tight-knit community, especially Old Jonesboro, where everyone knows everyone else. Diverse, with a low cost of living and good weather, Jonesboro, GA, is an excellent place to live. The town offers many outdoor activities and has an energetic, exciting nightlife. Plus, our commute time is one of the shortest in this part of the country.
Of course, to start enjoying everything Jonesboro, GA has to offer, you have to get here first. That means moving, including packing your stuff, renting a truck, or hiring a moving company. Now, here’s the thing; if you’ve never done it before, moving can be a stressful, time-consuming chore. There are so many things you need to do and so many tasks to accomplish; it can seem endless.
To help you get it done, we’ve got the top tips for moving to Jonesboro, GA, below. From hiring a mover to packing your things, gathering documents, and more, we’ve got it. Read on to find out how to make your move to Jonesboro safe, successful, and (relatively) stress-free.
Start Your Plan for Moving to Jonesboro, GA
One of the most important things you can do when moving anywhere is to start planning early. That goes for Jonesboro, GA, as well, even if you’re moving from inside the state. As we mentioned earlier, moving entails various tasks, all of which need to be done before moving day. If you wait until the last minute, you may run out of time, which could be disastrous.
Moving Yourself vs. Hiring a Mover
If you’re young, strong, and don’t have a lot of stuff, moving is usually the best choice. On the other hand, if you’re moving to Jonesboro, GA, with your entire family, hiring a mover might be better. An entire house full of furniture and belongings can fill an entire truck! That’s a lot of heavy lifting, packing, loading, and so forth, all of which take a modicum of skill.
Some families also have things that shouldn’t be moved by ordinary folks with no moving experience. They include pianos, extra-large fishtanks, and highly fragile items. If you have a lot of expensive dishwares, china, or glassware, a professional packer might be necessary also. That way, you won’t arrive in Jonesboro with a truckful of smashed junk. It’s your choice, of course. Our recommendation; if you have a lot of nice things and they’re worth a lot, hire a mover.
Pack for Moving to Jonesboro, GA
Just like with hiring a mover, deciding who will pack your things is vital. If saving money on your move to Jonesboro, GA, is essential, consider packing your things yourself. You can easily pack many items in the typical American household. Sneakers, for example, won’t get damaged no matter how you pack them. The same goes for books, linens, clothing, toys, and more.
If you decide to pack yourself, use boxes explicitly made for moving. Used boxes from the grocery store and other retailers aren’t made for the rigors of moving. Plus, they don’t match and can make it difficult when loading your truck. At SecurCare Self Storage, we sell a wide variety of packing materials. That includes boxes big and small, packing tape, packing paper, bubble wrap, and more.
Get Rid of Stuff You Don’t Want, Need or Use
The one hard and fast rule about moving is this; the more you move, the more it costs. It doesn’t matter if you move yourself or a moving company handles it; that fact doesn’t change. The more stuff, boxes, and furniture you take, the more expensive your move will be.
That means, for those folks wishing to save money, getting rid of things is vital. The question is, what things to get rid of and what to keep? The most straightforward answer is to go through everything you own, keeping, tossing, or donating as you go. (Which is one reason why starting early is so crucial.) Remember, the less you take when moving to Jonesboro, Ga, the less your move will cost.
Reserve a Storage Unit in Jonesboro, GA
SecurCare has storage units in Jonesboro, GA, that are safe, affordable, and clean. We recommend reserving one before you arrive for several reasons, including:
- You can save a lot of money on storage. (Movers charge an arm and a leg to store stuff in their warehouses.)
- You can take your time househunting, knowing your things are safe and secure in a storage unit.
- It will be ready when you arrive so you can unload your truck immediately.
- You can enter your storage unit whenever you need something. (You can’t do that when your things are in storage with a moving company.)
Moving to Jonesboro GA, Checklist
Below is a checklist, in no particular order, of all the things you need to do before moving to Jonesboro. Keep in mind that the items at the top are more important and thus should be done earlier. That being said, try and get everything done with at least a week to spare before moving day arrives.
- Start searching for a new home or apartment in Jonesboro.
- Get moving estimates and choose a moving company.
- Call moving truck rental companies and reserve a moving truck on your moving date. (If you plan to do the moving yourself.)
- If you’re packing yourself, purchase new or get used to packing material.
- Gather all documents, licenses, and other paperwork together and put them in a particular container.
- If you have children, get their school transcripts. Also, check communities in Jonesboro to determine which is in a good school district.
- Talk to your doctor, dentist, and other healthcare providers to get your medical records. Also, talk to your veterinarian and get records for any pet you might have.
- Call all of your utility providers and arrange for them to be shut off. Conversely, contact service and utility providers in Jonesboro, Georgia to have services started.
- Reserve a storage unit in Jonesboro, GA.
Good Luck with Moving to Jonesboro, GA
We hope the tips above will help you to have a successful, stress-free move to Jonesboro. Our recommendation, as always, is to start as early as possible. By the way, if you’re wondering how far is Jonesboro, GA from Atlanta, it’s 17 miles.
SecurCare Self Storage has an excellent self storage facility in Jonesboro, GA. All of our storage units are clean, safe, and affordable. You can reserve one online before you get here if you like. It’s an easy process that takes less than 10 minutes. Until then, best of luck planning your move to lovely Jonesboro, GA! If you reserve your storage unit online, we’ll see you when you get here!