Whether you’re traveling for work or a weekend wedding, figuring out how to fold a suit and coat for packing into suitcases or duffel bags. Learn how to pack a suit coat and/or slacks in any travel tote.
How to Fold a Suit Coat for Packing in a Suitcase
- With the hanger on, slip your suit into a garment bag (dry cleaning covers work too).
- Fold the suit coat in half, width-wise.
- Pack it last, laying it on top of the other items in your suitcase.
How to Fold a Suit Coat for Packing in a Duffel Bag
- Lay suit coat on a flat surface, face down and unbuttoned.
- Fold left shoulder back, bringing it 2/3 of the way towards the right shoulder.
- Turn right shoulder inside out. It should touch the left shoulder you folded back.
- Tuck the left shoulder into the right, so it’s slightly covered by the right.
- Fold lengthwise so the inside of the right side is showing.
- Fold in half.
- Place the folded suit jacket on the bottom of the duffel.
Once you get to your destination, hang your suit STAT. This will release any wrinkles that may have formed during your travels.
Pro Tip: Hang your outfit in the bathroom while you shower. The steam will straighten out the more stubborn wrinkles.
More packing tips: