A few American cities have as much history and charm as Charleston, South Carolina. With beautiful weather for about 11 months out of the year and a gorgeous location on the southeastern seaboard, calling Charleston picturesque would not do it justice. The city, especially the historic Downtown, is undeniably alluring.
Are you making plans to visit Charleston or move here soon? If you’re wondering what types of activities and attractions you’ll find, you’re in luck! Below is a list of the fun and exciting things to do in Charleston, South Carolina, brought to you by the storage experts at SecurCare Self Storage. Read on to discover them all, and have a fantastic time when visiting this delightful southern city!
A Quick Note about Charleston’s Weather
One reason Charleston is so famous is the city has a subtropical climate characterized by mild winters and hot, humid summers. The best times of year to visit are spring and fall, which are particularly pleasant and offer ideal weather for most outdoor activities.
You should note that summer can be hot in Charleston, with temperatures often reaching the high 90s. Winter, for the most part, is mild and relatively short, with temperatures rarely dropping below 40°F. Charleston also sees over 200 days a year of sunshine. In short, the weather in Charleston is agreeable and pleasant most of the year, with only the rare instance of genuine cold.
Fun and Exciting Things to Do in Charleston, South Carolina
Walk the Cobblestone Streets of Charleston’s Historic Downtown
The one must-do activity when you visit Charleston is to walk the cobblestone streets of the city’s historic downtown. When you do, be sure to admire the well-preserved and magnificent architecture. A visit to Rainbow Row and The Battery is also a must. Shopping options, especially chic clothing, are abundant in Charleston’s downtown area.
Visit the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
A visit to the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens in Charleston is like a trip back in time. The lush gardens are lovely, and the historic house is worth exploring.
Thrill to a Charleston Ghost Tour
Whether you believe in ghosts or not, a ghost tour in Charleston is a thrilling and fun adventure. They provide an intriguing glimpse into Charleston’s “haunted” past and combine the city’s history with suspenseful fun.
Attend One of Charleston’s Many Festivals
Charleston is renowned for its vibrant cultural scene and hosts various festivals throughout the year. Below are some of the best of them.
- Charleston Wine + Food Festival- This festival celebrates Charleston’s food culture with tastings, chef demonstrations, and wine pairings.
- Spoleto Festival USA- An internationally acclaimed arts festival, Spoleto features a rich lineup of theater, dance, opera, and music performances.
- MOJA Arts Festival- A celebration of African-American and Caribbean arts featuring music, dance, theater, visual arts, and more.
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition (SEWE)- This wildlife event showcases a variety of outdoor activities, nature exhibitions, and wildlife art.
- Charleston International Film Festival- A platform for filmmakers from around the globe.
- Cooper River Bridge Run- One of the largest 10K races in the U.S., this event includes a weekend of activities and a run across the iconic Cooper River Bridge.
- Charleston Fashion Week- This event showcasing up-and-coming designers puts Charleston on the fashion map.
- Lowcountry Oyster Festival- The world’s largest oyster festival offers live music, local wines, beer, and, of course, all the oysters you can eat.
- Charleston Christmas Festival and Parade- This event celebrating the holiday season includes a festive parade, market, and tree lighting.
Discover the Mysteries of the Deep at the South Carolina Aquarium
Considered one of the best aquariums in the United States, the South Carolina Aquarium showcases an astounding array of sea life and focuses on marine conservation. It’s not only entertaining for the entire family but also highly educational.
Enjoy Local Crafts, Produce, and Arts at the Charleston City Market
There’s no place better than the Charleston City Market for souvenirs, handmade crafts, and the finest local produce in the area! You should note that there’s a day market and a night market with different hours and vendors. (Both markets are fantastic and well worth visiting!)
The Best Beaches in Charleston
Charleston is renowned for its beaches and coastline. Below is a list of the top beaches around the city.
- Folly Beach: A famous beach known for its laid-back atmosphere, great surfing, and impressive pier. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops nearby.
- Sullivan’s Island: Sullivan’s Island is home to Fort Moultrie, which played a role in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
- Isle of Palms (IOP): A family-friendly beach with clean, comprehensive, convenient beach access, picnic areas, showers, and a playground.
- Kiawah Island: Known for its natural beauty and preserved wildlife, Kiawah Island offers a more secluded beach experience. It’s an excellent place for biking, golfing, and birdwatching.
Fun Activities to Enjoy on the Water in Charleston
If being on the water is something you enjoy thoroughly, you’ll love visiting Charleston! Below are several of the best water activities in this historic southern city.
- Kayaking the inland waterway
- Jet ski rentals
- Deep sea fishing off the coast
- Waterfront Dining
- Hunting for shells along the beach
- Dolphin watching tours
- Surfing at Folly Beach
- Sailing lessons
- Scenic boat tours
- Historic harbor tours
- Leisurely beach strolls
- Swimming in the Atlantic Ocean
- Biking on the beach
Need to Store Some Stuff in Charleston? Count on SecurCare!
If you want to store things in Charleston while you search for a new home or want to just declutter, SecurCare Self Storage is your best choice! SecurCare has safe, clean, and affordable storage units in Charleston, where you can store practically anything. From household goods to collectibles, antiques, and more, your belongings will stay pristine with SecurCare. You can also store boats, jet skis, and other water sports gear with us! When you’re ready, reserve your storage units online. Until then, we hope this list of the fun and exciting things to do in Charleston, SC, has provided the information you were seeking!